PixScan™ and PixScan™ Mobile Overview
PixScan™ technology is a feature of the Silhouette cutting system that provides crafters and makers the ability to capture an image using a scanner or camera (including smartphones and tablets) and then import images directly into the Silhouette Studio® software in order to cut precisely around any pre-printed design.
The PixScan™ feature is found in all versions of the Silhouette Studio® software V3.1 and higher and requires the use of a PixScan™ Cutting Mat.
The PixScan™ algorithm allows your Silhouette to recognize registration marks which appear on the PixScan™ mat itself in order to cut your material preceisely as youve indicated on the associated image within software.
PixScan™ is ideal for:
- Turning hand-drawn sketches and lettering into cut jobs
- Digitizing patterns
- Adding custom-cut borders and frames to professionally printed invitations
- Replicating a pattern at its original size
- Saving material and time using the Nesting (Designer Edition only) feature to place images to be cut within specially shapped materials
- Incorporating printed images or patterns into your custom craft projects
- Turning photos and other printed clippings into cut or sketch files
- Cutting precisely around already existing printed or stamped images
PixScan™ is only intended to help digitize your original artwork and photos.
The PixScan™ mats are offered for the Portrait and Cameo models.
Please click here for further information, including a link to a demo video.
PixScan™ can be used as follows:
- Place your material onto the PixScan™ mat. The material must fit entirely inside the rectangular workspace border on the mat.
- You can capture an image of the mat and material using either a scanner or a digital camera
- With Scanner: Scan the entire PixScan™ mat with material in place. If necessary, you can perform multiple scans and the software will stitch the scans together automatically.
- With Camera: Set the PixScan™ mat on a flat surface. Take a photograph of the entire mat with material in place. The photograph can be taken straight-on or at a slight angle. Transfer the image onto your computer.
- Click the PixScan™ icon in the Silhouette Studio® software
- With Scanner: Click on the Scanner icon, then Import PixScan Image from Scanner
- With Camera: Click on the Camera icon, then Import PixScan Image from File
- Once imported properly, your software cutting mat will display as your PixScan cutting mat
- Add cut lines to your imported image as desired in Silhouette Studio®.
- Proceed to cut as usual.
Please click here for the PixScan™ Mobile manual.
This should walk you through the process of using this application and show you how to convert your images from the PixScan™ mat to be cut from the app.